September 10th, 2021 – 5:45 PM
Ethan Garrett – WRGA Digital News Editor & Video Reporter –
The RomeGACares Hurricane Ida Relief Drive is currently taking donations of supplies and money to send as aid for the Lafourche Parish in Louisiana, which has been heavily affected by Hurricane Ida and is in need of outside help.
With the Floyd County Sheriff’s Office taking the lead, multiple local organizations have stepped forward to help out with the Hurricane relief drive.
Elder’s Ace Hardware donated 100 five-gallon buckets to aid in the Hurricane Relief efforts in Louisiana. Students at Darlington decorated and wrote heartfelt messages on these buckets to help raise the spirits of those that have been affected by the hurricane.
According to Floyd Sheriff’s Office Chaplain David Thornton, the Lowes and Home Depot in Rome donated multiple pallets of needed supplies, and the East Rome Walmart volunteered help and offered a $2,000 grant.
North Rome Church of God has allowed the use of their warehouse facility for the donations collected.
****The RomeGACares Relief Drive is requesting donation of items like:
- Cases of water, Box Fans, Large tarps, Dish Soap, Paper towels, Bug Spray, Scrub Brushes, Bleach, Sponges, Cleaning supply/ Disinfectant, Diapers, Children’s Items, Rakes & Shovels, Dog & Cat Food, Gloves, Masks, and Toiletries.
There are several additional drop-off locations for donations:
- North Rome Church of God (Monday thru Friday 8 AM to 5 PM).
- Pleasant Valley South Baptist Church (To their office, Monday thru Thursday 8 AM to 6 PM).
- Tree’s Unlimited (3 Georgia Ave Cave Spring – Monday thru Thursday 7:30 AM to 4 PM, and Friday 7:30 AM to 1:30 PM)
- Polk County Sheriff’s Office (Monday thru Friday 8 AM to 5 PM).
- Floyd County Sheriff’s Office (*Check’s only, Monday thru Friday 8 AM to 5 PM)
If you’d like to donate any monetary amount you can drop off checks to the administrative area of the Floyd County Jail (*Sorry no cash – Checks can be made out to “RomeGaCares”).
*You can also donate electronically: https://checkout.square.site/…/QBH3IFV5EGWEU3WF2LM2RCHQ
For every $75 that is donated, they are also able to purchase a Disaster Relief 5-gallon bucket (bleach, disinfectant, wipes, water, trash bags, Dawn, face masks, mosquito spray, scrub pads, sponges, gloves, & tarps).
***All donations must be dropped off by the 17th of September.
Volunteers are also being sought to assist in collecting the donation drop-offs. If you’re interested in volunteering or have questions about helping please contact the Floyd County Sheriff’s Office at 706-291-4111 *ext 8815
As a part of the RomeGACares Hurricane Ida Relief Drive, the Floyd County Sheriff’s Office has also announced they are volunteering to travel to Louisiana to coordinate with Sheriff Craig Webre of the Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Office to assist them with their hurricane relief efforts.
The volunteers are expected to leave on Monday, September 20th, and return Friday, September 24th.