January 16th, 2024 – 3:55 AM
Paulding County Fire and Rescue –
The following is a report from Bartow County Fire and Rescue:
“At 10:56 PM on Saturday, January 13th, Paulding County 911 received a call from a resident located at 588 Florence Road, in unincorporated Douglasville, saying his house was on fire and that a family member was trapped inside the residence.
Several additional 911 calls also reported seeing flames coming from a neighbor’s home.
Seven minutes after dispatch (at 11:03 PM), Engine 9 and Rescue 9 arrived on the scene to find
a modular home fully involved in flames. E9’s crew encountered a distraught resident in the front
yard who told fire personnel he did not think his stepson was able to get out.
E9 & R9 attempted to enter the home to execute search & rescue operations, but extreme fire
conditions hindered access to the interior. Within minutes, additional PCFD units arrived on the
scene joining the fire suppression operation as well as attempts at rescuing the trapped victim.
Unfortunately, a short time after the fire was brought under control, a 59-year-old male was located
inside the home with severe burns and was pronounced deceased on the scene.
As is policy, anytime fire claims the life of a citizen, PCFD’s Investigators requested assistance
from the State of Georgia’s Fire Marshall. The initial investigation cites a kerosene space heater
accidentally being knocked over, causing the fire and its rapid spread throughout the residence.
Paulding County’s Medical Examiner will release information on the deceased victim pending
notification of next-of-kin.
Engines 2, 5, 9, ALS Rescue 9, Squad 1, Truck 2, and several command officers responded to